Search

Monday, October 15, 2018

Technology: an Extesion of Ourselves (response to Turkle's Connected, but Alone?)

My initial thoughts to Sherry Turkle’s 2012 TED talk: Connected, but Alone?, were “this does not apply to me – I have boundaries when it comes to using my technology”. Is this not everyone’s first thought when we are confronted about our technology use?  Why do we become defensive when it comes to our technology use? Perhaps it is because it is a part of our identity; perhaps technology is a part of us. If someone were to criticize a part of me for being a part of me I would get defensive. Saying “this does not apply to me because of…” is simply justifying why it is a part of you in the first place; it makes it okay.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! We tend to use technology, especially our phones as an escape when we feel awkward or uncomfortable. When our ability to hide is taken away or threatened people become defensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the article, I reflected like this too. I took an hour editing my words so I didn't sound like I was talking up myself on my use of technology. Technology has become part of us, just most of us need to find that healthy balance.

    ReplyDelete